Commit to be Fit
The Treynor CSD Wellness Committee is excited to share some news and information regarding health and wellness in our state and school district. The State of Iowa has mandated some changes, and in order to be compliant, the District Wellness Policy has been updated. A committee was organized and began meeting during the 2016-17 school year. We were challenged with the tasks of identifying where our district was excelling and where we were falling short of the state requirements. We identified what changes needed to be made and set three measurable goals for the coming school year. The local Wellness Policy has been updated and approved by the school board.
What will be different for the 2018-19 school year?
- Compliance of nutritional guidelines in fundraising activities that involve the sale of food
- All fundraisers will be approved by the building Principal
- Increased level of physical activity during indoor recess
- An Approved snack list will be used for all snacks to be shared at school
- You can also use this Smart Snack Calculator to determine if those not on the list meet the nutrition requirements.
If you have an idea of a healthy snack that isn’t on the approved snack list, please let a committee member know.
Sharing/Bringing Food Items for Events:
Students who wish to bring and share treats are encouraged to bring non-food items. If a student brings in food items to share, the items must be prepackaged with the nutritional label and list of ingredients included on the packaging. All shared snacks must meet the requirements of a “smart snacks.” We look forward to working together with you to create a healthier school environment that helps our students become better learners..